Thursday, April 6, 2006

A schoolhouse rockin', a chip off the block, of your favorite, favorite Schoolhouse Rock!

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 4/06/2006
I've come to the realization that I've adapted quite well to Japan. Well, except for sleeping on the floor. But! It should be noted that I did try that particular custom for 5 years, so I can say without hesitation that it isn't for me.

I've also adapted in ways that I only realize when I catch a glimpse of myself in windows of buildings as I walk by. The other day, I was checking out the state of my hair on my way home from work (which by the way, has a gremlin-like stripe going straight down the middle of my head...time for a coloring!), when I realized that my face was frozen in a state of rigor mortis, grimacing like a sourpuss old maid.

This is my method of getting through the streets unassulted by random strangers who want to practice English with me. When I was a newbie to Japan, I was always approached by people who wanted to chat. One person even woke me up on the train to ask if I would give them a few minutes of my time to discuss the various intricacies of the perfect participle, which if you're a native English speaker who has never taught English as a second language, only serves to bring back vague memories of junior high and spending most of English class trying to get the cute guy in your grade to ask you to the school dance.

If you are a Gen X'er like me, you probably remember in the 70s and early 80s, when there was a show called "Schoolhouse Rock" on every Saturday afternoon. This show was immensely popular and gave lessons in grammar, civics, science and math. Do you remember "Conjunction Junction", "I'm Just a Bill", "Interjection!", "Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, Get Your Adverbs Here"?

I wonder if I could import that here so people would stop waking me up on the train.

9 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Andrea said...

oii
I walk with the same look.
hubby calls it my bitch face, I call it my leave me alone face.
works

Michiko said...

I've seen them harrassing my husband! I think those strangers are scary because it is NOT normal to go up to a stanger and practice English!

Expat Traveler said...

Yeah I guess that is odd and sort of good to know. I so remember those shows though Christine. I however could only watch for about 2 seconds and I was done.

Now what would be funny is if you posted a pick of that grimacing face, either on someone else or yourself!

Midori said...

LOL!!! I must have the same face on because hardly anyone tries to practise their english with me these days!

kuri & ping said...

Andrea, oh, yes...that face has been nicknamed by bitch face too. :)

Michiko: is that you in DC??? Yippie! :)

Expat traveler: I would post a picture of that face, but I don't want to scare off my small number of faithful readers. :) Trust me, it's not something you'd like to see. LOL

Midori, I think that the face becomes natural in proportion to the number of years you've been in Japan. I'm afraid to see what I'll look like in another ten years. Yikes.

Jess said...

For whateaver reason, I seem to be the only person in our generation with NO recollection of Schoolhouse Rock. I'd never even heard of it until I saw "Reality Bites".

Incidentally, I don't even know what the perfect participle is. ;) Isn't it sad that most of the grammatical terms/rules I learned while taking French and German?

kuri & ping said...

Jess: "perfect participle"? I had to look it up online. :) I can't believe that you don't know Schoolhouse Rock??? Wow. LOL

Jess said...

Yeah, I think I'm a freak of nature WRT "Schoolhouse Rock". Seriously, I watched TV--lots of it--so I don't know how I missed it.

Off to google "perfect participle"...

Cari said...

Three is the magic number!

Oh and check your e-mail, I just sent you a great school house rock memory :)

Love the new design...Catching up!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review