Monday, April 24, 2006

How you measure a year in the life?

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 4/24/2006
Getting by on 6 hours of sleep in the last 2 days is not doing me any favors. I think the last time I did this was when I was in college cramming for finals. I have no excuse now for why I can't sleep.

Now, let me take you on a tour of the thoughts that are running through my head at the moment. It's like a running stream of consciousness or perhaps like listening to music played backwards. It either makes no sense or sounds like the devil is trying to tell you something.

So, I've had the song--525,600 minutes--playing in my head for the past week, ever since previews for Rent started. It's great to sing in the bath where you can pretend you're an amazing Broadway singer, however, I can't really do it justice at 4AM while E7 is sleeping and I'm trying to hypnotize myself back into an REM cycle.

But maybe 4AM is the perfect time to get philosophical...Just how do you measure a year in the life?

Seasons Of Love
525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear.
525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?
In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee.
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.
In 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life?
How about love? How about love? How about love? Measure in love.
Seasons of love.

525,600 minutes! 525,000 journeys to plan.
525,600 minutes - how can you measure the life of a woman or man?
In truths that she learned, or in times that he cried.
In bridges he burned, or the way that she died.

It's time now to sing out, tho the story never ends
let's celebrate remember a year in the life of friends.
Rememberthe love! Remember the love! Remember the love! Measure in love.
Seasons of love! Seasons of love.

10 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Granny said...

Should be required reading. I think I'll think to it on my next post.

Narelle said...

Ahhh Chris I fully feel for you! I know what it is like to be awake when you should be asleep and have insane thoughts or songs running around your mind. I hope this changes for you soon !!!

Janice said...

Hi,

I haven't been sleeping too well either, so I feel for you I really do.

Try this imagen yourself in a hammock in Hawii, and you rocking in the warm brease with the sound of the surf in your ears. It helps.

Janice~

Cari said...

Glad to know we're on the same wavelength--as soon as I saw your subject I got the song running through my head!

Rent opening there without controversy? Been a whole hullabaloo here in Osaka.

kuri & ping said...

Wow, Granny, thanks for the link from your blog! I feel so loved! :) Glad that the lyrics helped you feel a little better.

Narelle, thanks for your thoughts! My problem is that I can't turn my brain off so I can go to sleep. I'm constantly thinking of things I have to do...maybe I should keep paper next to me so I can just write it down and then forget about it.

Janice, thanks for the suggestion! I'll try it tonight.

Hi Cari! No, I didn't know that there was any controversy around Rent in Osaka...why? I remember when it first came out on B'way there were a few "not so nice" things said about it...what's going on in your part of town? Would love to hear about it.

Dr. Know said...

Do you think that the seasonal changes are affecting your sleep? Hope you get better.

Mande's J-Life said...

I downloaded this soundtrack from iTunes at Suk's request. This is a good song, but most of the others su-u-u-uk. I can't wait to see the movie though. Some of my students are hoping to do it for their cultural festival this summer.

Jess said...

Well, if it's any consolation, I now have this song in my head as well. ;)

Has the movie adapation of "Rent" shown in Japan yet?

kuri & ping said...

ichiandzero, I wonder if it's a seasonal change or just stress from work. I tend to think that all bad things happen to me because of my job. LOL

mandej: You're right...this is the best song from that soundtrack...which is why I don't own it. Tee-hee.

jess: glad to hear that you're singing the song as well. Unfortunately, the only part that I remember without looking at the words is "525600 minutes" so think of poor E7 when I belt that out into his face. Rent is coming out this Saturday, exactly the day that I'll be in the U.S. Oh well. :)

Expat Traveler said...

Easy one...taxes are due again... ;-) But I do hope your sleep gets better. Drink a lot more water and that should help you!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review