Monday, April 24, 2006

Culcha, daaling, culcha

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 4/24/2006
E7 and I were full of "culcha" this weekend. The definition of "culcha,"* daaaling, can be found at Ab-Fab, a show that some of my British friends used to try to educate me on the inner workings of English humor.

This weekend we decided to rough it and took (horrors!) public transportation to Fukuoka to see the impressionists who were on exhibit at the local art museum. Monet, Pissaro, Renoir, Toulouse-Lautrec, Degas...I felt like I was back in Paris visiting old friends.

As I always do in moving vehicles, I passed out on the bus while I squished E7 in our tiny alien-sized seats. I don't think he'll be taking the bus again with me.

Speaking of public transport, E7 and I are off to NY this weekend for Golden Week. My mom and aunt have been going through some papers at my grandfather's house and found, in my opinion, a gold mine. Old papers, naturalization records, birth certificates, ration tickets from WWII...everything the genealogist in me is itching to get her hands on.

There was one certificate from 1890-something, which gave the names of my great-grandmother's parents who were from Bohemia. I'm getting ready to go through each of those papers one by one with my copy machine, digital camera, and wild imagination...

* "culcha"="culture"

9 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Dr. Know said...

You definitely have a gold mine. The last time I went back home, I was fortunate to make copies of some of my grandparents old photos. I am soooo thankful to have copies of those.

Jess said...

That's awesome that you found all that, Chris! What a great thing to have. I wish we had a better record of my family's immigration history.

Have a great and safe trip to NY.

kuri & ping said...

ichiandzero and jess, yes, I do have a goldmine! I'm really excited...will post the info when I can get my grubby little hands on them!

Anonymous said...

Some other things I found, Chrissy:

A family Bible with a few handwritten entries (late 1800's - early 1900's)

Death certificates

A newspaper clipping (the human interest kind...an older couple in the family tying the knot)

A detailed bill (funeral expenses)

A divorce decree

An English literacy certificate

Children's books that belonged to my Father with his address written in them. (Your Mom & I are going to check it out, although the building in NYC is probably long gone.)

My father's high school diploma (Harran HS, no longer in existence). My mother's diploma from Evander HS, still there.)

And in my opinion, the best of all,
many old photographs which my Grandmother (your great-grandmother) labeled with names, dates, and places. (You go, Grandma!)

Can't wait to see you both!

Aunt Patty

kuri & ping said...

That is just too cool Aunt Pats...can't wait to get my hot little hands on all that treasure! My precioussssssssssssss.... (From LOTR, lest you think I've lost my mind. :)

Mande's J-Life said...

Oh, this is just too cool. My great-grandparents were from Bohemia as well, and when I talk to my Slovakian friend about life there, it's amazing to hear her stories. She says, "Imagine what your great-grandparents would be thinking if they saw you now. They would be so proud and that never would have happened if they had not had the courage to emigrate to the USA!"

kuri & ping said...

MandeJ: maybe we're related??? :) Just joking. It's like when someone comes up to me in Japan and says, hey do you know so-and-so from the U.S.? Apparently, I know all 250 million people personally. :) LOL

I totally agree with you though about having the courage to emigrate. My grandfather's father came from Greece to NY when he was 14 years old. Alone. Can you imagine???

Expat Traveler said...

oh that is so exciting! Catching up after a blogging break is hard! I hope you enjoy your time in NY! Never been, just yet, but itching to do it one day.

Michiko said...

That's exciting! My husband was really into the genealogy stuff when his grandpa was alive (he has a copy of some genealogy software!). After he's gone through the records from the National Archives (something about insurance claims), he still hasn't figured out how he may be related to someone in Nova Scotia, Canada (his ancestors were originally from England though). It's quite interesting...

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review