Sunday, April 16, 2006

Can you send over some Alka-Seltzers?

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 4/16/2006
Why is it that I feel like I've gorged myself after I read magazines like People or watch TV shows like Broadcaster? It's like I've read/watched all the pop news from the entire week in one hour. No wonder my head hurts and I feel like I need an Alka-Seltzer.

Speaking of Alka-Seltzers (do you like the way I so subtly (not) led into this new paragraph without making a new post? God, I'm good), what's your take on Japanese breakfasts? A commenter asked the following question in an earlier post:

"E7 must like to eat Gohan (rice) and Miso soup and Yakizakana (grilled fish) every in the morning..?"

Actually, I am not a breakfast person myself, but when I do eat breakfast (which is when we are away for the weekend and the nice people in the hotels make it for me), I always choose the Japanese breakfast. Well, minus the fish...I can't seem to stomach fish in the early morning. And it is early morning. Breakfast usually starts at 6:30 and ends--ENDS--at 8:00. Since E7 and I are late sleepers, we usually turn up to breakfast at 7:50. Just enough time to grab something from the buffet table. We are always the last people there and are still wearing the yukatas we've slept in. Everyone else in the room is all dressed up/made up/packed and ready to check out.

Anyway, I do enjoy the rice, miso soup, tofu, and pickles in the Japanese breakfasts...all washed down with a cup of steaming green tea.

E7 loves Japanese style breakfasts. Unfortunately for him, he can only get that when we stay overnight at a Japanese inn. At home, the most he'll get out of me in the morning is an incoherent goodbye as he rushes out the door to work. I need that extra hour of sleep in the morning to deal with the sh*t at my office. I don't have the energy, nor the expertise, to be whipping up something for both of us to eat for breakfast.

The poor thing has to make do with stopping by the bakery in the morning for a cup of coffee and a pastry on his way to work. Just the like rest of the working class. Oh, and me.

Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate it!

6 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

L. said...

I realize I am lucky to have married into a traditional Kyoto family.... that prefers toast and coffee, just as I do.

So when I have to visit the in-laws, at least I can start my day the way I like to!

fan said...

Thank you for the response.
I have 2 more questions.
How about Fugu and Nattou?
Is this blog secret to E7?
(E7 does not know this existence?)

dongurigal said...

I like Japanese breakfast's but only when they are prepared for me at fancy ryokans. Normally, it's just toast and coffee. Married to a Frenchy means he wants his fresh croissants when he comes back to France for a visit--a trek to the boulangerie (for him, not me!)

kuri & ping said...

L., sounds nice! I didn't realize that your DH's family is from Kyoto.

fan, I love fugu and can tolerate natto. Yes, E7 does know about this blog, but choses not to read it. :)

dongurigal, that's the spirit...always have someone else make it or get it for you! LOL

Midori said...

I am like you! I quite like rice and miso soup in the mornings but can`t stomach grilled fish that early! I make breakfast most mornings for my husband (part of my "job") but he usually gets toast or oatmeal or something, the only time he gets rice and miso soup is if it is left over from the night before! LOL!

PS= You have been tagged!

Jess said...

You know, I've never thought about having soup and rice for breakfast before. Quite different than the bowl of SpecialK or Raisin bran and non-fat latte that I usually have, but I could definitely see it being nice on a colder morning.

And FWIW, the thought of fish in the morning weirds me out. I guess *maybe* lox on a bagel but that's as close as I'd consider getting.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review