Friday, March 3, 2006

Who is that masked girl?

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 3/03/2006
Fashion Alert!

'Tis the season of kafunsho (hay fever, pollen allergies, whatever you'd like to call it), and thus the parade of masks begins. These masks have certainly come a long way since I first came to Japan. At that time, they looked like a box of kleenex strapped across your face. Now, they have different styles and shapes to choose from, even the self-proclaimed "bird flu filter" for when you're traveling in a bird flu zone. I guess I should pick up a few for my parents when we go to Italy in May.

Is it a bra? A jock strap? Nope, this is the latest version of my mask for the kafunsho season. Lovely, isn't it?

I ended up having to get a child's size mask to fit my face. I had tried on E7's the other night to see what size would fit best (his was the regular size) and ended up looking like I had a shroud on my face. It was that big. I had to constantly move the mask out of my eyes so I could see where I was going.

Don't I look lovely?

In other news, E7 and I ended up going to the same restaurant last night and ate the same thing. But we didn't go together. Isn't that weird? I wonder if it's true that you grow to be more alike the longer you're together.

Does that mean that he'll become more and more American over the years?

Or does it mean that I'll start to look Japanese?

4 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Belinda said...

wow you actually wear one of those???

Narelle said...

Very fashionable Chris. Perhaps you could decorate it with bright colours and become a fashion icon. Everyone will want to wear one whether they have a cold or not :)

NB

Belinda said...

i've seen Asian ppl wearing those here at places like the supermarket.

It actually mkes me feel like since they are the only one wearing it that THEY have a disease, not that they are trying ot avoid getting one. They stand out so much b/c it is totally not the done thing here in Australia.

kuri & ping said...

I do wear it because the alternative is awful (itching, sneezing). Everyone wears them here when they're sick or when they're trying to ward off allergies so I don't feel too out of place.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review