Sunday, March 26, 2006

Super Fly Woman

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 3/26/2006
This afternoon I was flipping, I was flying, I was...the Fly Lady. And this is all inspired by MandeJ who is moving this weekend and packing up her house.

I'm sure you remember this room, don't you? (as you wipe your face with relief that it's not one of the rooms in your home.)

Well, I started my project this afternoon. I decided that instead of trying to tackle it all at once, I would go through my clothes first (TANGENT ALERT!! I left going through E7's stuff for a different time. This will definitely take a little while to do because today I happened to find a pair of shorts in the closet that he didn't even realize that he still had AND doesn't fit him, and he still protested the fact that I was going to throw it away. He's hidden it from me for now, but I'm sure I can find it again.)

So I decluttered my closet for 3 hours while E7 was watching opening day for J-baseball. I ended up with 2 garbage bags of clothes that are absolutely unwearable by anyone (they're literally rags) and a huge bag of clothes for charity.

I also found out that I had 10 NEW handbags lying dormant in my closet. Yes, ten. That I don't use. So these are being given away to friends at work and what's left over will be posted at my new bestfriend...Tell & Sell Japan.

I can't tell you what a difference going through my clothes made to the entire room itself. I was able to fix the clothes racks which were bent in half from the weight of unused clothing AND there is more light coming in through the windows because they're not blocked with all the clutter. My drawers (pronounced "drawwwwws" if you're from the NYC area) can be opened without tugging on them, and I did a good deed and returned about 50 hangers to the local dry cleaners.

At one point, I got a little carried away and started to tear things out of the closet. I came to about 10 minutes into this job and think I'll leave it until my brother comes to visit in October so he can help.

2 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Expat Traveler said...

I did a bit of cleaning and clearing away of clothes. I'm far from finished also, but sorry to say the room looks quite normal. It will just look really clean once I figure out what clothes to give away.

In the mean time P is just puzzled and can't find his camera. I hope he does find it...

Anonymous said...

Flylady rocks!! I didn't realize you were a follower, Chrissy. When I follow my routines I can't believe some of the stuff I have around the house that is absolutely of no interest to me. I love decluttering (probably because there's so much around)...now if I could only convince DH to follow suit. (Confession: I sneak some of his things out if I'm confident he doesn't even remember owning it....like E7 and his shorts!) Would you believe I got rid of a Halloween costume from the l950's? Pure junk!

Love, Aunt Patty

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review