Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Renaissance Man

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 3/15/2006
That's my Dad. He is the quintessential Renaissance Man.

What is a Renaissance Man, you say? Check out what they say at Wikipedia:

A polymath (also known as a polyhistor) is a person who excels in multiple fields...The most common other term for this phenomenon is Renaissance man...

(This is followed by lots of babbling which has nothing to do with this post, so I'll just end here.)

That's my Dad. According to my aunt, he is one of a dying breed of people who can do just about anything.

Something wrong with your car?
It's Renaissance man to the rescue with only a wrench.


Need a dollhouse for your kids overnight?
There he is! Renaissance man can build you one complete with furniture and figures.


Need siding put up on the house?
Renaissance man, saving the day with a belt full of tools...and voila! now you have a new home.


Stranded on a deserted island?
No problem. Renaissance man will have a small city up and running for you on solar power within the hour.


I was lucky growing up in a house with a real live Renaissance man. Nothing was a problem...just a challenge. How else could I have come up with an ingenious way of fixing the entire wall of window blinds--with one bobby pin--that my niece tore down in Australia within 2 minutes of walking into the hotel room, after being told by the owner that we would be hunted down if we broke anything?

2 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Andrea said...

sounds like my up bringing.
good for you!!!

Narelle said...

My dad was the same - and still is!! Can make anything work and can fix anything. I think I must have picked up some of his tricks as I can do the same with most things at school and home. I guess it is the common sense thing kicking in !!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review