Monday, March 13, 2006

Redrum, redrum

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 3/13/2006
Last night I saw The Exorcism of Emily Rose. I thought it was going to be similar to The Exorcist, The Omen, and The Shining (hmmm...do you think there is something there with all the titles beginning with "The"? Maybe I'm on to something.) For years, I wanted to check the heads of my little cousins when they were being particularly Damien-like.

I love watching scary movies. E7 can't stand them, which is why I inevitably end up going to see these movies by myself. It's fun to be frightened, except for when I am alone in the apartment. Then I kick myself for watching things like "Sixth Sense" and just know that they are hiding in the shadows of the apartment. *shiver*

So, I was all prepared to be freaked out by Emily Rose, maybe with her head spinning around ala The Exorcist, or red-rumming like those two scary twins in The Shining. But Emily Rose wasn't even particularly scary, although the junior high school girls who were giggling and chatting throughout the entire movie set the tone for the theatre by shrieking whenever they thought something might be happening.

These were all movies that my mother wouldn't let us watch when we were little, which is why we LOVED going to my cousin's house where they had cable. HBO, MTV, Disney...they had it all. And R-rated movies! We weren't even allowed to watch PG-13 movies (actually, I don't know if they had that rating when I was young. I'm from the old school.) so watching an R-rated movie? Oh, the illicet-ness of it all!

I've tried going the route of Japanese horror films, but they are really scary. Have you ever seen movies like The Ring (again with the "The's" in the title!)? Not the Hollywood version, which I found a bit tame, but the original Japanese version? If you want to be completely scared out of your skull, you need to see this version. You will never be able to look at a TV or videotape again.

Thank God for DVDs.

3 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Winnie said...

RINGU beats RING. Sadako is way creepier than Samara. You should read the books.

kuri & ping said...

Oh, I totally read the books! They were freaky but I think it was because I had the movie in my head already...RingU definitely is better than Ring. :)

Mande's J-Life said...

Have you ever seen the movie about black mold? I forgot the name, but they recently made a Hollywood version starring Jennifer Connolly. I have only the seen the Japanese version though. I thought I hated black mold before...now I can't look at without thinking about that scary-ass mold from the movie.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review