Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Lion King

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 3/28/2006
I've found out how crap I am at situations that require me to think fast. I've always wanted to be one of those people that you can count on in a pinch but alas, it is not to be. I am more like the person that would have to be restrained in order to keep everyone else from panicking.

This morning there was an earthquake in the neighboring province which registered a 5.5 or so. Here in Kokura it was a 2 and the partitions in my office were wobbling back and forth and photos were knocking together.

OK, I have a reason that I was freaking out a bit. Last year there was a very large earthquake around here (7 in Fukuoka, 5 in KitaQ). We were still at home. Actually we were both sleeping (at noon, yes...that's what happens when you don't have kids, chickadees!). Anyway, glasses fell and broke, the walls were shaking. E7 slept through the entire thing and only woke up when I was repeating his name over and over because...well I was like Rainman (you'll see this is a recurring theme in this post).

So today when I felt my office building begin to move, what did I do?

Did I jump up and try to lead my coworkers to safety? Did I don my fireman's hat and start to lead the masses to the exit to freedom? Um, not exactly.

I was the first person who felt the tremors (of course...I'm like an animal. I feel earthquakes when they're 1s...no one feels those) and I kept repeating, "uh oh, uh oh"...Just like Rainman (see a pattern here?)

Then as the tremors got stronger, I jumped up and tried to wedge myself under my desk, which is FILLED with junk that I have to get rid of...it's like I just moved the contents of my apartment to the office to get it away from me on the weekends.

I couldn't get under the desk so I just stood in the middle of the room. This would have been fine if my two coworkers weren't looking at me like I had gone completely insane.

So what happened when I got home? E7 says he has no recollection that there was an earthquake. He didn't feel anything at all.

Only me...Queen Rainman of the Lion King. That's right. Gather around and I will lead you out of the jungle to a safe place.

Just as soon as I get myself out from under this table.

6 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Expat Traveler said...

Well I guess you have really sensitive ears which pick up a lot of "extra" things others don't. That's okay, I smell everything and some think I'm weird like that too. :)

kuri & ping said...

Expat! OMG! I am always telling my coworker that someone is smoking in the building (they're not supposed to)...on two floors below us! Weird. :)

Narelle said...

I know what you mean Chris!! The panic button is the first thing that I push and after that I can sort out a reasonable solution. As long as I have pushed that panic button everything is fine !!!

Mom said...

Chrissy...glad i didn't know there was an earthquake....but your post did make me laugh....oh queen!

Laura said...

I felt it in Osaka! I don't blame you for the reactions about earthquakes...they are just..wrong.

kuri & ping said...

Narelle, I am like a cat on a hot tin roof! :) I jump at everything.

Mom, I try to keep the earthquake news to a minimum...don't want to scare you! :)

Laura, you felt the quake in Osaka? Yikes...that was pretty far north. Yes, moving earth? Not for me.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review