Monday, March 13, 2006

International marriage?

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 3/13/2006

So this blog is about "international marriage," but I’ve certainly been lax in talking about that topic for the past few months.

When people ask me what it's like being married to a Japanese guy, I have a hard time answering them. I mean, I just married a guy named E7, who happens to have different skin and shaped eyes and speaks a different language...I didn't marry an alien from outer space. I still ask him if it's easy for him to read Japanese when he looks at the newspaper. His response? A blank look that basically says, Duh.

Anyway, let's take a look at what goes on when we both get home from work and see if this qualifies us for inclusion in the definition of an "international couple."

E7 is lying prone on the couch in his pj's watching baseball (or whatever sport is on depending on the season) with a cup of coffee, yelling hello to me as I walk in the door. Sometimes he'll say hi in English, sometimes in Japanese, and sometimes in our personal language of chanpon, which is a mix of English and Japanese...and which no one understands but us.

As I walk in from the front door to the living room--a journey of about 10 steps--I shed my coat, drop my bag, and deposit the groceries on the kitchen table (if we've decided to eat in). I go to kiss him hello and listen to him talk about the score of the game, while mentally calculating how much longer this particular game will be on so I can change the channel to watch Yaoh, my drama of choice with my current crush, Kazuki Kitamura.

After listening with half an ear to the sports commentary, which is suspiciously followed by a similar dialogue by the TV commentators, I change into my pj's. It doesn't matter what time it is. It could be 5 in the afternoon or 11 at night. What's the point of staying in your uncomfortable outside clothes, when there are nice relaxing sweatpants and tee-shirts to change into?

After procrastinating for an hour or so, we draw straws to see who will be cooking and who will be cleaning up that evening. I prefer to clean up, but there are certain meals that I refuse to do, such as curry, cream stew, or fish. So those evenings, we are stuck doing jankenpo (rock-paper-scissors) to decide who will get the short end of the stick. I inevitably lose because I can never remember which one wins over the other (Is it paper gets flattened by rock or covers the rock?) While I'm trying to figure this out, E7 has already won three hands and I turn up the level of my whining until I get what I want.

We spend the rest of the evening chatting about what is going on in the news or what we are going to do for the rest of the week...pretty much what any married couple does. So what's so different about our marriage?

F1

Yes, Formula One. We are obsessed. We stayed up last night until 2AM to see the outcome of the F1 race in Bahrain. I have no idea what it is about F1 that I love but I just can't tear my eyes away (or my ears, for that matter. As soon as I hear the high pitched scream of the engines, my blood starts revving and I get lost in the world of high speed and drama.)

Let me tell you, with F1 following Yaoh, I don't know where my head is sometimes. *wipes flushed face*

OT: While procrastinating at work this morning, I came across this strange article:

Chicago Requires Driver's Ed for the Blind

Is it just me, or has someone completely missed the point?

4 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Winnie said...

The fact that you don't talk about an international marriage much seems to indicate that you have your own special harmony together-that is cool.

kuri & ping said...

Thanks Winnie! I'm sure the same is for you two as well. I still don't know how to answer people when they ask me what it's like to be in an international marriage. :)

Mande's J-Life said...

I think we have more problems based on the fact that he is a man and I am a woman than the fact that we are from two different cultures. Wouldn't it be so much easier to be a lesbian? Just kidding.

Cari said...

That Driver's Ed thing is odd.

And your routine sounds cute. I was thrilled to come home tonight to find out one of my flatmates had cleaned--that was enough to make me happy!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review