Thursday, March 23, 2006

End-of-the-year blues

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 3/23/2006
Ahhh, March. The smell of spring in the air, the blossoms, the drizzling rain, deliberations over which coat to wear. Oh, and the end of the fiscal year in Japan.

I am not a fan of March. There's something about this month that puts me on edge. It probably has something to do with the fact that summer is lurking in the wings.

Being in Japan has made me appreciate March even less than I did when I was young. With all the kids graduating this month and getting their "summer holidays" in, it's a great big screeching mess at restaurants, stores, and on the trains. My ears ring every morning I take the train to the office and I've worked out a complicated series of twists and turns to get here that puts me in the path of the least number of jyoshi kousei (high school girls). I guess this is how my parents felt when all five of us had two months off in the summer. Hmmm.

Along with graduations and teary send-offs, this month is also the time when all those reports (remember those you didn't do all year long?)...well, those are now due. So you spend your time alternatively cursing at your workload and breaking into hysterical gentle laughter at the thought that you might not be able to use up your annual leave before March 31st. Which is 8 days away.

Calgon, take me away!

2 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Expat Traveler said...

ok blogger just didn't want to work earlier. I left a long comment but I had to delete it...

So I was wondering how much vacation one normally gets in one year?

And how long do the students get a break for?
Where do people usually travel?

I think that was sort of it in a very shortened version of what I wrote before. :)

kuri & ping said...

Hey Expat! Most people get 20 days per year and they can carry up to 20 days until the next year. For example, I have 40 days of vacation to take next year. Cool, huh?

Students usually have 3 to 4 weeks of vacation between school years. They also get a month in August. Most people travel domestically unless it is a major travel season (Golden Week in May, Obon in August, End of the year in December/January). Lots of people will travel overseas at that time.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review