Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 2/07/2006
This is definitely a childhood memory of mine...which is being renacted here at my office! Or maybe it could be better defined as a zoo.

I remember going to see the circus with my grandmother and sister when I was about 8 or 9. I still remember the three rings, the lions, and the clowns in very vivid detail. I still hate clowns though. *grin*

There are times when I really miss my grandmother. I was about 13 when she died but she was already the stuff of legend to me and my sister. She and my grandfather lived in the Bronx but moved to the suburbs to be nearer my mom and my aunt.

They ended up moving right around the block from us, which was just the perfect distance for my sister and I to go over and visit. We would go with my best friend, Dina, and would hang out in their kitchen and play dress-up in all my grandmother's clothes and jewelry, pretending we were fine ladies on a cruise ship. Why a cruise ship, you ask? I guess we thought it was the height of luxury...I still haven't been on one yet though.

She took me to my first Broadway musical--Annie--and out to my first grown-up lunch. And even though I didn't like what I ordered, she allowed me to Send. It. Back. and order something else. "Window shopping" was something that I thought everyone did with their grandmothers...and being taken out to Friendly's for lunch AND dessert...well, what could be more exciting coming from the house where FGL** was the order of the day?

**FGL: "Family Go Light"--used when someone was visiting and there was not enough food to go around

There are certain spring days when I'll remember her in vivid detail. I don't know why, but I associate Easter with her...maybe it was because she used to dress up or wear corsages on that day. Or maybe I just associate the beautiful sunshine and flowers with her. I'm not sure. But I do wish she could have met Ping...I know she would have loved him--for who he is and for loving me as much as he does.

9 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Belinda said...

It's so lovely that you have so many nice memories of your grandmother esp since you were quite young at her passing.

Anonymous said...

My Step-Mom uses FHB - Family Hold Back - same concept as FGL :) I hope that my kids are able to live near their grandmothers too. That is something my brother and I def missed out on - although he might not think he missed out not going to lunch and/or window shopping. Danielle

Narelle said...

Chris your thoughts of your grandmother bought tears to my eyes. It is wonderful to see that her memory is alive and well in your mind. I have the same types of thoughts about my grandmother. There are days where I wish I could just talk to her and get some of her infinite wisdom. She helped me deal with my parents divorce so no doubt she would be able to help me with the stuff I am going through at the moment.

You know what?!?!? I thought my family was the only ones who did the FHB stuff - mum use to be like that when we had Ken and Lee stay with us. She would cook the same amount of food but expect it to go over 2 extra people !!!

NB

Mande's J-Life said...

Chrissy, what a nice story about your grandma. It sounds like she was an interesting lady who knew just how to treat her grandkids. I have lots of stories about my grandma with none of the luxuries. In the end though, she has been a good grandma to have around.

I didn't know about that FGL thing, but that sounds like a stellar idea. I am going to use that from now on, so when you visit me, you'll understand why there isn't enough food.

Mom said...

I miss her too.

Expat Traveler said...

Such a sweet story. I remember those days too but I guess that's because we are close in age. I went to the circus but I never saw Annie as a musical. I'm sure if I wanted to do so, my grandmother would have taken me. It's great you still remember stuff like that. :)

Megs said...

Your story made me tear up and get chills up my spine. Wish I would have been able to remember her and experience all those great times too

Karen said...

Oh --- Friendys. "The banana boat sundae" :). Thanks for taking me back. Lets take it back to " the love boat"!!!!! Remember the blue dress with all the costume jewelry. I miss her too!!!!

Anonymous said...

A lovely tribute to a lovely woman....wise, compassionate, and with the patience of a saint. (Witty, too!)

Aunt Patty

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review