Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Olympic "burnout"

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 2/15/2006
Actually, I'm not burned out on the Olympics yet, although I tend to get a little squiffy--isn't that the best word to describe when you are a little irritated, a little tired, and a little testy?--with all "mamonaku hajimarimasu" (coming soon!) and "shibaraku hajimarimasu" (starting soon!) that the newscasters use to tease you before breaking for commercials, when you know, and they know...and they know you know...that nothing is starting soon.

Last night, after playing Cupid, I was EXHAUSTED. There is no other word for it...it was a bone-deep weariness.

Why is that?

Well, it comes from having to speak Japanese for 3 1/2 hours with no break because neither of our Cupid targets speak English. Which is fine, since I live in Japan and, of course, everyone speaks Japanese.

However, I don't think I've been as tired in my entire life as I was when I got home. I sunk down into the couch (with the broken springs...another story for another time! *he he*) and didn't think I could get up again. E7 thought nothing of this because he was happy he didn't have to spend the evening speaking English, which is what normally ensues when we go out with friends.

So, there I was staring at the screen, waiting to catch a glimpse of the pairs figure skating which happened earlier that day (1st place by Russia and 2nd and 3rd by China). Unfortunately, the screen was filled with hype about the start of the 500m speedskating women's event.

"Okay," I thought as my eyes glazed over, "I like speedskating and there will be lots of coverage because there are four Japanese women in the event."

Well, from 11:30 until 1:30AM, there were no shots of the actual event, unless you count the interviews with the athletes' parents and stories of their childhood (including how one of the athletes' parents made an ice rink in front of the school...and HOW they did it). They could have given me some coverage of the pairs figure skating, the slalom, or even curling for God's sake, in that 2 hour span.

But no. Speedskating didn't start until 1:30, by which time I was in a semi-coma and had to go to bed...right as the starting gun went off.

Oh well. I'm sure I'll catch the coverage later tonight. And even if I don't, I can read all about it.

2 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Granny said...

Checking in to say hi and thanks for the comment.

My bedroom t.v. has gone kerflooey so my Olympic coverage has been the breaking news on Yahoo.

Bummer. I'm not transfixed by it but usually I check the events and watch some of it at least.

kuri & ping said...

Granny, that's too bad that your bedroom tv is on the fritz. I want to watch the events but they're on SO late! (3 or 4AM) and seriously, I just cannot stay up that late anymore. :)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review