Monday, February 27, 2006

Dirty little secrets

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 2/27/2006
I'm going to let you in on a little secret...

I am an awful housewife.

This is my project for next week, and pretty much for all of Lent, I think. I certainly can't give up chocolate for 40 days (been there, done that and it only made me cranky) so the least I can do is to make E7 happy and clean up this mess.

A mess of books, clothes, and magazines...and that isn't even the heart of it. It's this closet that is the problem.

This is a good picture of the closet...I'm too embarrased to show a picture of what the closet actually looks like, lest I lose all my readers. *grin*

Tuesday is Mardi Gras--the day before Ash Wednesday which is the start of Lent, and in that spirit, I will be completely trashing this room before I turn it into a place that even Martha would be proud.

8 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Helen said...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who is a little, shall we say, disorganized? I'm not planning anything for Lent though. Power to you!

Glad you're back!

Narelle said...

Chris I have a spare room that looks remotely like your closet. I have been vowing to clean it out for about a year now and have started it - hopefully it will be done by Easter. Not for a lent thing more like a sanity thing !!!

NB

Winnie said...

You are not an awful housewife. First of all, you are not married to the house.
Second, housecleaning is overrated. God doesn't judge you when you die based on whether or not your room is clean.
Third,these are lame justifications for the fact that my abode is not exactly pristine.
P.S. Thanks for the email.

Expat Traveler said...

Don't feel too bad, I've got rather the same type of problem but it's moving my stuff from my studio appart to the place I now live with my husband, except we don't have furniture yet and so that is hard to unpack clothing! I do hope all goes well with your project!

Anonymous said...

Blogger is vexing me at this moment...it won't let me post under my blogger id! (Christine)

Helen, that's what I'm here for! To keep you happy. LOL

Narelle, I think everyone has one of these rooms...I just used Lent as an excuse to get off my a** and clean it up!

Winnie, thanks for pointing out all the obvious points that I forget to think about. I am NOT married to the house! True! :) And yes, housecleaning is overrated...I don't know what all the fuss is about frankly. LOL

Expat, thanks for wishing me luck with my project! It's going to take quite some time...

Cari said...

Yeah have to say I agree with Winnie here. Don't get sucked into the Japanese default 'woman is housewife'
Several times I have wanted to 'gently' smack my students heads into the walks 'you're not a housewife, you work 50 hrs/week'

And my room...I have no excuse o:)

L. said...

That looks like a typical Japanese closet to me -- too much stuff crammed into too little space. There`s not much you can do. Organize it a little beter to make yourself feel more in control, then... don`t worry about it.

For me, living in Tokyo meant looking at my vacuum cleaner all the time. The closets were so full of things like sitcases and books that the vacuum cleaner had to live outside.

At least it was a fairly attractive vacuum cleaner.

Mande's J-Life said...

Speaking of odd items living outside. I have pots and pans that permanently live on the floor in front of the telephone. Every time I open the cupboard where they are supposed to be kept, I hear this loud crashing, banging sound, and I hurry and and shut the cupboard door real tight.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review