Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 1/10/2006
You know how we spent our weekend? On the phone with ANA getting tickets for Golden Week to...ITALY! Yes, we are heading back to Italy to meet up with my parents. I know...doesn't it sound hoity-toity? (Said with lockjaw, "Yes, daaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrlinnnnnnnngggg, we're going to take a trip across the pond to meet up with the kids." (BTW, for those of you not in the know, the "pond" is the Atlantic Ocean, according to my friends in the UK.)

Actually, my parents were planning to visit Japan after a five-year hiatus but because both of my brothers are planning to come out this year, they proposed to meet us somewhere else...and Italy was shortlisted!

We've met up in different places around the world before. A few years ago we met up in Paris and another time in Madrid. Last year, I even dragged my large adorable butt down to Brisbane to meet up with my sister and her family who came in from Michigan. We are like the traveling von Trapps, except without the singing ability.

E7 and I have been to Italy already (Rome, Venice, Capri, Milan) but he so desperately wanted to go to Florence that I took out my magic wand and bestowed upon him unlimited phone service so that he could contact all the travel agencies to book us on a flight. So we are going to Florence and Venice (yes, again).

We're going to Venice again because of me. The last time we went, I teared up when the water taxi went around the bend and I caught my first glimpse of the city bathed in the last light of the day. If you have never been there, I can't emphasize enough how you should run and max out your credit card go as soon as you can.

Now that my family has progressed from meeting only in the U.S. or Japan, I'm all for going back stateside and meeting up in Hawaii. I must be the only American abroad who has never been to Hawaii.**

** I also have never been to the west coast, except in transit. I am the quintessential New Yorker. Check out a cover of The New Yorker from many years past:

I heard that the new Kitakyushu airport will have chartered flights to Hawaii. This is excellent, especially since JAL stopped their direct flights to Hawaii from Fukuoka (and had one of their engines explode in mid-air...Right.On.Television. You can't pay for PR like that.)

Remember that show: Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and the theme song by Rockapella?

Well she sneaks around the world from Kiev to Carolina
She's a sticky-fingered filcher from Berlin down to Belize
She'll take you for a ride on a slow boat to China
Tell me, where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

Steal their Seoul in South Korea, make Antarctica cry 'Uncle,'
From the Red Sea to Greenland they'll be singing the blues
Well, they never Arkansas her steal the Mekong from the jungle
Tell me, where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

She goes from Nashville to Norway, Bonaire to Zimbabwe,
Chicago to Czechoslovakia and back!

Well, she'll ransack Pakistan and run a scam in Scandinavia,
Then she'll stick 'em up Down Under and go pick-pocket Perth
She put the Miss in misdemeanor when she stole the beans from Lima
Tell me, where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

Oh, tell me, where in the world is...tell me, where can she be?
Botswana to Thailand, Milan via Amsterdam, Mali to Bali, Ohio, Oahu!

Well she glides around the globe, and she'll flim-flam every nation
She's a double-dealing diva with a taste for thievery
Her itinerary's loaded up with moving violations
Tell me, where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

This is E7 and I...well, except for the thievery, of course. *grin*

7 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Belinda said...

OMG I so hate you! I would love to be planning a big overseas trip right about now, instead of the life I'm dealing with.

sooooo jealous!

Speaking of Carmen - I never really watched that show but I do remember the song...I just LOVED that computer game way back!!!

Anonymous said...

I loved that song...and I used to watch the show, even though it was much too young for me!

Italy....lovely! I'm still trying to get DH anywhere in Europe. I'm a bit green right now....

Helen

CaliGirl said...

nice blog...came over via andrea. :)

you arent the only one that hasnt been to hawaii. i grew up in california until i moved to canada when i was 37 and never went...and i had never been anywhere near the east coast until then either.

hugs

medea said...

I've never been to Hawaii either. Hopefully my next company trip (the only time it's okay to take time off to travel) will be to Hawaii.

Take lots of pics in Italy for us!!!

Cari said...

Love the NYer cover. I only got to Hawaii when I was here last time, it was cheaper than Okinawa!

And the Carmen Sandiego thing, clearly I never linked you to the blurb my bro came up with before I came back here:

where are you now?

it's like where in the world is carmen sandiago.

Weird guy in a mask says: "I don't know her name, but she said something
about going to the land of Tsunamis and noodles."

(air plane flys arcross the screen)


with the "voice" from the old show and game. I remember when Rockapella came to Naz, that was awesome!

Parents came here for New Years 2001-02 but Dad can't fly such a distance--were going to meet in San Fran for New Years but opted not to since I'll be home soon enough I think.

Anonymous said...

We'll have so much fun!!
Mom

Narelle said...

So jealous Chris !!!! Will have to share my thoughts for my OS trip this year with you - think you might be a little excited :)

NB

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review