Friday, January 13, 2006

Six degrees of separation...or "great to meet you, cuz!"

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 1/13/2006
A few months ago, I got a message from a fellow Bookcrosser in Australia. We had never met, but where booklovers gather, there the bonds of informal friendship naturally follow.

She had mentioned to me that another Book'xer--who was American and was living in Australia--was moving to Japan and could she contact me to exchange books while she was here. They also had never met in person, natch.

A few months go by, and I get a message in my mailbox from travelling cari. I saw she had a blog listed on her bookshelf in Bookcrossing, so being the procrastintor that I am, I logged on while I was at work (horrors!)

While I was reading her blog, I saw that she had gone to college in Rochester...a college that is located nearby to my old university. So we took a trip down memory lane and reminisced about local lore: Nick's Garbage Plate, Wegmans...

During our frequent email exchanges, the topic turned to where we were originally from. Yup...it turns out that we were from neighboring towns in downstate NY.

But it doesn't stop there...oh, no. I also happen to know her godmother's daughter, who went to university with me. At least we didn't find out we were long-lost sisters or anything...that would have really been weird. *grin*

I've had things like this happen to me before. A few years ago when I was on the JET program, my best friend and I were sitting on a bus during one of the yearly conventions in Kobe, when I found out that the girl behind me went to the same elementary school as I did, although separated by a few years.

I also had a surreal moment in a bar in Kobe, where I ran into an ex-boyfriend of my college roommate, who was living in Shikoku and was in Kobe for the weekend.

Maybe I'm just a magnet for these things, or maybe the world is actually getting smaller.

3 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Mande's J-Life said...

These things used to happen to me all the time. When I was a sophomore in college, I had a classmate from Minnesota who was also majoring in Japanese, had also studied abroad in Japan while in high school on the same program, but she had lived in Niigata, while I was in Chiba. She had gone the year after I did. Anyway, I was telling all about my true love back in Japan (now my husband!) and then I showed her a photo of him and his college buddies, and she says, "I know the guy standing next to him! He was my host brother!" So, right away, I passed the info on to my "true love" and he verified it with the guy, and lo and behold, it was true! My classmate and his classmate were host brother and sister. Weird!

kuri & ping said...

That's even stranger than my stories! :)

Cari said...

It's a small world after all...

I remember being shocked enough when you mentioned Rochester and Nick;s but then when you said "outside NYC" I felt the walls closing in and the world shrinking...Eeerie. The eerier thing is the population turnover at work--office has about tripled in size since I left yet the proportion of Americans has abot 8-tupled! There were three last time, now there are (that I know of!) 5 NYers alone though only the one Rocklander that I met the night of my birthday.

Still waiting to hear back from my godmother, don't know how often she checks e-mail as its fairly 'newfangled technology' as far as she's concerned ;)

Happy Sunday!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review