Friday, January 20, 2006

Help me Martha!

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 1/20/2006
Today, January 20th, is...um...international confession day. Yeah, it's international confession day...that's what today is.

I need to get something off my chest...I am not the wonderful housewife I seem to be.

What brought this on, you say? This:

Karisuma shufu is Martha Stewart in Japan. I was reading Martha Stewart Living this afternoon--one of many magazines that makes its way around the foreign wives circuit in Kyushu--salivating over all the cute and innovative ideas and wondering...why am I so crap at making my apartment look nice?

I try, I really do. But for some reason, things don't come together. There is no rhyme or reason to the decorating scheme in our place. It can't be described as country, minimalist, modern, classic...it a hodge-podge of styles and furniture that was on sale at Nafco (kind of like Kmart) and recycling shops. For instance, a lot of houses, and even apartments, have an area set aside as a shrine for family members who have passed away; our apartment has a corner set up as a shrine to Hideki Matsui of the NY Yankees, E7's favorite player.

But I digress.

Our apartment has quite a bit of storage space (which for most people is good). For me--the packrat--it is a nightmare. Last night, I had to go looking for my passport. Which is in the closet. That I never go into. I slid the door open and was met by an avalanche of boxes, clothes that don't fit into my dresser, tax forms, nylons, suitcases...and a hideous clock that was given to us by one of E7's relatives, so I can't get rid of it. At least, not yet.

This closet has been the bane of my existence since we moved into this place eight years ago. I figured that I would clean it out when we buy a house, but, well, as you can see...we're still here.

So I did what any self-respecting woman would do...I closed the door. And prayed for Martha Stewart to stop by for a cup of tea.

4 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Anonymous said...

Hey, if she stops by, would you send her on to my apartment afterwards? I'm in the same boat as you. I don't have a closet like yours but we do have a storage shed that I'm sure is about the same.

Helen

Cari said...

My kingdom for storage! Though I can see how it would end up as a bad thing. Our apartment has *one* closet in the middle bedroom--loved it when that was my bedroom but I moved to this one because that one had no window. I'm actually tempted to move back though. Hate having everything *out* because there's no *away* to put it in--same goes for vacuum/ironing board etc.

Andrea said...

I have two closets in my tatami room just like that right now.
I keep opening the door a crack, stuffing somethingelse in and then quickly shuting it.
I blame it on the fact that they are not really big enough to put proper storage containers in.
yayaya
excuses excuses.

kuri & ping said...

Helen, no problem! I'll have her stop by your place as well. :)

Cari, actually my apartment looks quite clean since I just shove everything inside the closets. Sometimes it's better than having everything out in full sight. I get shivers thinking about if everything in my closet were out in full sight. Yikes.

Andrea, that's what I do. I don't even try to open the closet door any further than I have to. The only problem is when I have to go searching for something!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review