Thursday, January 5, 2006

Do you ever wonder what comes over politicians sometimes?

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 1/05/2006

Koizumi hopes nation will follow example of dogs' fertility to stem falling birthrate

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 07:21 EST

TOKYO--Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi expressed hope Wednesday that Japan will follow the example of dogs' prolificacy to stem the falling birthrate as 2006 is the Year of the Dog in the Chinese zodiac.

"Dogs whelp a lot but are said to have an easy labor," Koizumi said.

The prime minister said he will do his best "to create the environment where people can think raising children is delightful and being parents enriches human lives," but did not mention specific measures.

*****************

Maybe he should just put everyone in a kennel to increase the birthrate.

3 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Narelle said...

This could only be said by a male. I reckon put men in charge of the procreation of the species and we would have been extinct centuries ago !!!

NB

Cari said...

*snort*

the funny thing is, I can so hear that. Is it a sign I've been here too long that it doesn't even remotely surprise me?

And yes, you're 100% right on ???, it was driving me batty but unclear speakers on the train, who would have thunk? ;) I still can understand them better here than on the NYC subways :o Prague still gets the award for unintelligibility!

And yes, it was the driver, tourguide and me. The guide was lovely but totally surprised to have a gaijin on the tour--the driver didn't speak at all. Guess I was just surprised given that it was the holidays--figured there would be more people floating around on holidays--and more shocked they did the tour for just me!

Reminded me of when I was in Korea a few years ago-wanted to do a tour of the DMZ and the woman said there was only a Japanese tour group going so I said 'fine' I can understand enough to deal with that--but they got me my own translator, that was way cool!

Andrea said...

the guy is an idiot.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review