Monday, December 5, 2005

The Iron Chef

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 12/05/2005
E7 and I have reached absolute bottom.

At the best of times, we have little interest in cooking. Deciding what to make for dinner is a battle of wills over who will cave in first and suggest we order in.

Me (on my way home from work): What do you want to eat tonight?
E7 (already home from work and taking a nap): I don't know. What do you want?
Me: I don't know. What about______? (Fill in blank with the one of five Japanese dishes I can make.)
E7: No, I don't want to wash the dishes after we eat. Do you want to cook?
Me: No. Do you?
E7: No.
Me & E7: Want to order in?

Every night is a variation of this conversation, so you can see that we are not the most motivated of people when it comes to cooking. Now add the fact that we both don't want to clean the kitchen after and you basically have a recipe for disaster (Dad, that pun was for you!).

Recently, we've been eating ochazuke, which is basically rice with green tea poured over it. It takes about 3 minutes to make and leaves very little cleaning up, which is why it's one of our favorite things to have for dinner. Dump a spoonful of rice in a bowl and pour hot water. Perfect!

The other day, E7 and I were looking through a catalogue from JAL. They had photos of osechi ryori, which are traditional New Year's Day dishes. While I was riffling through the pages, I found these photos of truly spectacular osechi ryori dishes and wanted to show them to E7, who was "working hard" in the kitchen washing up from our five-course ochazuke dinner.

He glanced at the photo and, with all seriousness, said that he was looking forward to having it for New Year's. I stared at his oh-so-serious face for a minute before we both burst into laughter.

Luckily for us, we'll be away for the holidays and someone else will be cooking.

3 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Narelle said...

Sounds like my place. As I don't eat much these days dinner is something that I eat when I get home from work around 5ish. I try to make something that is quick, easily digestible and doesn't require much cleaning up - the perfect dinner in my book!!!

NB

Anonymous said...

How about using a slow cooker? You could set it up the night before, or the morning before work, turn it on and forget about it. Then, at night you come home to a ready made meal.

I don't use mine often, but when I do I usually enjoy my meal.

We never order in, we just go out most of the time!

Helen

kuri & ping said...

Helen, I was thinking of getting a slow cooker, but our apartment is not very well wired. We have a lot of power shortages when we use different appliances and having the electric on when I'm not there is just a scary thought. I would be afraid that I would come back to rubble. :)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review