Monday, November 28, 2005

Mwah, ha, ha, ha

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 11/28/2005
OK, don't hate me.

I finished my Christmas shopping...And, it's still November.

I have one confession to make. I ended up doing all my shopping online this year because I wasn't able to find any gifts that inspired me in Japan this year. This is a first. I wonder if it is because it is not cold here yet and it was hard to get motivated to shop. But by shopping online, I was able to pretend that I was in a snowy winter wonderland.

That's called "virtual reality". *grin*

The only present I haven't gotten is my own from E7. I wonder if it is like this for most people? This is a real conversation that we had last year. Why do I remember it? Take a look:

"So, what do you want for Christmas this year?" I ask.

E7 looks up from his paper and says, "Shoes."

"Shoes," I repeat.

"Shoes," he says.

"Alllllrrrrrrrrightyyyy," I say doubtfully. Well, if that's what he wants, then that's what I'll get him, I think to myself.

"So what do you want for Christmas?" he asks, now back buried in his paper.

Little does he know the answer he will be getting..."A diamond solitaire," I say innocently.

Silence...maybe he hasn't heard me.

"A what?" he says.

"A diamond solitaire," I repeat.

He thinks for a minute and his face lights up as he gets a good idea. "OK, you should go to the stores while you are in New York for the after-Christmas sales, pick out and buy the necklace yourself, and then I will pay you back when we come back to Japan. That would be the best way to do it."

Did he just say he would pay.me.back. for my own Christmas present?!?

Needless to say, I did not purchase my own Christmas gift. But it has stayed a joke ever since.

3 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Andrea said...

I finished all of my shopping by september last year. I kept this list in my wallet so when ever I saw something cool and cheap I could check if I needed it for someone. This year, visa headaches money saving and no presents at all.
DH and I dont x-mas presents, but we do try birthdays. I just buy myself a present every year. Usually a massage, some perfume and a snazzy shirt.

kuri & ping said...

That's the way to do it! I was talking to my dad the other day and he was saying that I could buy a gift when I got to NY. I'm arriving on the 22nd, but apparently that is enough time to go shopping. :)

Narelle said...

I only have a couple of presents to go - thanks goodness!!! At least if you get your own present you get exactly what you want. Good on you for asking for the diamond - you might as well as for the top present and then work your way down :)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review