Thursday, December 1, 2005

"Family Tree" update

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 12/01/2005
Last month, I sent my DNA kit to National Geographic for a project that they are doing called The Genographic Project.

I've been checking their site almost daily to see the status of my kit and right now, my DNA is being isolated. Whatever that means.

The kits go through a six step process before your "family tree" can be figured out. Right now, my kit is on step 3:

"The DNA cells are broken open by incubation with a protein-cutting enzyme overnight. Chemicals and the samples are transferred into deep well blocks for robotic DNA isolation. The blocks of chemicals and samples are placed on the extraction robot. The robotic DNA isolation uses silica-coated iron beads. In the presence of the appropriate chemicals DNA will bind to silica. The robot then uses magnetic probes to collect the beads (and DNA) and transfer them through several chemical washes and finally into a storage buffer, which allows the beads to release the DNA. At this point the beads are collected and discarded."

I cut and pasted that description in small letters because let's face it. I know you didn't read it. Me neither. I'm just waiting for my kit to get to step 6 so I can post about my deep ancestrial roots.

Because "it's all about me", you know. *peals of laughter*

2 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Winnie said...

"My DNA is being isolated"

That would make a great T-shirt.

kuri & ping said...

OMG, you are so right...What about "My DNA is being deleted from the gene pool"? Too funny!!!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review