Thursday, December 1, 2005

The countdown begins

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 12/01/2005
It's the first day of December...well, in Japan at least. :) All "youse guys" on the other side of the world, you have a few more hours yet. But you know what that means, right? The countdown has begun!

It also means that I have one week left to get ready for a business trip to Thailand, where it is about 95 degrees. This would actually be lovely, except the following week we will be going to NY, where it is about 30 degrees. I can feel the sniffles coming on already.

You know, whenever we visit New York, Karen's kids give me whatever gross sicky thing they have at that time. And I'm the only one who gets sick. No one else. In fact, my sister usually informs me about a week before we go to visit that "um, you know Eddie's been throwing up" or "Heather's so sick her head is spinning around like on the Exorcist"...so I can't wait to see what this year has in store.

But even though my nieces and nephews are walking germ banks, I just love being able to see them over the holidays. This year will be an exceptionally interesting year. Not only will we have all the original five kids in the family, there will also be assorted spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends, kids...and two dogs.

And all of us will be crammed into one house.

I have to give kudos to mom and dad for the room juggling that goes on when everyone comes in. We have sofas that double as beds, futons that double as sofas that double as beds, and what is more fun than sharing a room with E7 and being woken up by someone climbing over the bed to watch TV at some ungodly hour of the morning.

This is what I am looking forward to--snow and lots of it! When I first moved to Kyushu, snow was one of the things that I missed. It "snows" (by which I mean "flurries") about twice every winter and the confusion that ensues is great fun to watch. People put chains on their tires, the monorail and trains stop running...and what is better than having no way to get to work?

Yahoo! Avatars

And then on the other end of the spectrum, you have places like where my sister lives, which I got to visit once in December. I had to drive In. A. Major. Snowstorm. for five hours from Chicago to get to her house. It was not a pretty picture. But no one congratulated me on my feat because they were all out driving as well. Apparently, being able to drive in blinding snow goes with the territory.

Jeez, I seem to be posting a lot about Christmas. Ya think I enjoy the holiday? *grin*

2 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Narelle said...

For the first time in years I am actually looking forward to Christmas !! I would love to have a white Christmas sometime however I guess that would entire flying and that makes things a little difficult :)

NB

kuri & ping said...

I definitely wouldn't be able to do a warm/hot Christmas. But I guess if that is what you are used to, it must be weird the other way around!

You could always fly to Japan over Christmas and visit. :)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review