Tuesday, November 8, 2005

100 Things About My Sweetheart

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 11/08/2005
If you are ever confused about ping, aka e7/tanchi/pyong/boo, this is probably where you'll find the info your looking for!
  1. He is a Virgo (which is a perfect match for a Capricorn, BTW)
  2. He is the youngest of five. His oldest brother is older than my parents.
  3. He is 5 years older than I am.
  4. He was born and raised in Kyushu, making him a "Kyushu danji", but not in the traditional sense of the word.
  5. He worked in Nagoya for three years, while I was there as an exchange student.
  6. No we didn't meet.
  7. He is an avid reader and loves Junichiro Tanizaki, one of my favorite authors.
  8. He has never studied abroad but loves traveling.
  9. He met me at a go-kon, which is kind of a blind date party.
  10. It took him four months to get up the courage to hold my hand.
  11. We had a long distance relationship for 1 1/2 years before I decided to come back to Japan.
  12. He was on NHK when he was in junior high school in the chorus competition, but he won't sing in front of me.
  13. He is one of the most sensitive and loyal people I know.
  14. He's addicted to coffee (just like me!)
  15. He hates to cook.
  16. He has a license to drive a motorcycle.
  17. He is allergic to shrimp.
  18. He has the most beautiful smile. It lights up his entire face.
  19. He is a history buff.
  20. He used to speak English more but now we speak a mix of Japanese and English at home (chanpon).
  21. He has never caused a car accident (which he never fails to tell me).
  22. He had surgery on his leg when he was younger. His shin bone wasn't strong enough so they took a piece of bone from his hip. *shiver*
  23. He is a conservative liberal.
  24. He is obsessed with safety and the rights of victims.
  25. He majored in economics in university but he can't fill me in on why things happen in the stock market.
  26. He took classes in German during college and can only count to 10. He was of no help in the German area of Switzerland when we went traveling.
  27. In fact, most of the time when we are traveling, he gets tired of using English and wants to use me as a translator.
  28. He is now comfortable enough at my parents' house in NY to go to sleep when he wants and to choose not to participate in activities, just like everyone else.
  29. He has frequently said that there is nothing about his life that he wants to change.
  30. Most of his wardrobe is made up of clothes from Uniqlo and Old Navy.
  31. He went to a Catholic junior high school but is not Catholic.
  32. He complains about when I want to watch shows like "kiss dake jya iya" and documentaries on host and hostess clubs in Japan, but then sits down with me and watches it to the end.
  33. He loves to cuddle.
  34. He hates horror films, even psychological thrillers.
  35. His favorite film is Lord of the Rings.
  36. If he doesn't have rice during the course of the day, he doesn't feel full.
  37. He has terrible handwriting, by his own admission, and is proud of it. I also have terrible handwriting and would be proud of that except I sometimes can't read what I've written.
  38. He gets seasick easily.
  39. He is getting like the Velveteen Rabbit, with his hair getting thin from being loved so much.
  40. He has made up a completely new language with me, which is comprised of Japanese, English and alien.
  41. He is not generally superstitious but has made sure that our pillows face south and not north, the way that the deceased are lain out during wakes.
  42. He doesn't read comic books but likes movies based on comics.
  43. He is very introspective.
  44. He is a planner. The day he asked me to marry him, he already had a date picked out for the wedding.
  45. He has a cute crooked front tooth.
  46. His first name is very uncommon in Japan. He always has to repeat his name four or five times for people to understand.
  47. He likes to walk behind me. When I slow down for him to catch up, he slows down even more.
  48. He hates shopping but will come with me when he has to. However, he walks at such a slow pace and with a look of utter boredom on his face that it is easier to leave him at a coffee shop until I finish.
  49. He loves to play tennis.
  50. He is an avid baseball fan, but he doesn't like a particular team. He will watch any game, anytime.
  51. His favorite player is Hideki Matsui.
  52. He saw him hit a home run at Yankee Stadium.
  53. He is still friends with guys he went to junior high school with.
  54. He grinds his teeth when he sleeps (which drives me crazy!)
  55. He sometimes talks in his sleep...in Japanese, which freaks me out every time I hear him.
  56. He has a hundred different nicknames: Ei-chan, Ping, Pyong, Boo, Tanchi...
  57. He hates wearing watches.
  58. He has a weak stomach and takes natural herbal remedies for it.
  59. When we went to Disneyland in Tokyo, he screamed "Micky-san!" like a little kid when Mickey Mouse came out on stage.
  60. It was the cutest thing I've ever seen.
  61. He is a romanticist at heart. He even applied for a transfer to NYC without telling me because he wanted to surprise me...he didn't get it but it is a gesture that I will remember for the rest of my life.
  62. He is so considerate that he won't eat natto unless I am away on business.
  63. He adores pandas and once spent 2 hours at the zoo in Vienna watching them.
  64. He doesn't care about getting old or going bald...I love that about him.
  65. He has little patience for stupid people...because it can be helped.
  66. He doesn't normally drink, but when he does he turns bright red and looks like a tomato.
  67. He has beautiful eyes that look like dark chocolate.
  68. He hates being cold but is like a heater for me in the winter. Weird.
  69. When he was young, the first concert he saw was Wham!
  70. The first time he went overseas was to New York and Disneyworld.
  71. He called me from the top of the Empire State Building to see how I was recovering from surgery.
  72. We had just met the week before.
  73. When he and his friend went to Disneyworld, they raced around for 2 days. Even the security guards there were telling them that it was impossible for them to do what they wanted to do in the short time they had.
  74. But they did.
  75. It's one of my most favorite stories. I always laugh when he tells me about the expression on the face of one of the guards.
  76. He's not really a morning person but doesn't mind getting up in the morning.
  77. He's so squishy that I have to give him hugs whenever I see him, whether it's been all day or he just came out of the bath.
  78. He likes to plan out vacations right down to the very last detail, including trains and routes.
  79. That is in direct opposition to me, which makes our planning perfect.
  80. He is about 1 inch taller than me and is proud of that fact.
  81. But only if I don't wear heels.
  82. On our wedding day, he said that he started crying when he saw me coming down the aisle, but quickly stopped after he saw me sobbing my way in.
  83. But he did cry when we were dancing together at the reception.
  84. He puts that down to the fact that he was jet-lagged.
  85. He doesn't believe in "God", but does believe in a higher being.
  86. He used to smoke when we were dating but quit when I left Japan.
  87. Shouldn't it have been the other way around?
  88. He cried when I left Japan to go back to the U.S.
  89. Life with him is far from boring.
  90. He's great at using maps but is horrible at finding his way back.
  91. That's my job.
  92. He doesn't worry what strangers think about him.
  93. He had never celebrated his birthday until he met me.
  94. He loves to stargaze.
  95. He is a homebody, except when we travel.
  96. He would do anything for the people he loves.
  97. He likes to take a nap when he gets home from work.
  98. He accepts the things that he cannot change.
  99. He has to check to make sure that the door is locked and the gas turned off before we go to bed.
  100. He is my best friend and soul mate.

4 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Andrea said...

You left a comment on Medeas blog, thought I would check you out. Interesting.
Will probably 'read' you around.

Anonymous said...

How do you persuade your hubby to sit and wait in a coffee shop while you shop? Mine trails after me like a lost puppy, even though he is completely bored with shopping. Sometimes I even hit the ladies undies section to try to shake him but it never works. Sigh.


Helen

mom said...

I might say that you loved the guy.......

bea said...

i agree with your mom - you love that guy!

Seriously, though, the shopping thing? That's great that he'll wait, 'cause my very yorkshire man will trail me in order to add up what I'm spending - and if that's not love, I don't know what is!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review