Wednesday, October 26, 2005

What's in a name?

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 10/26/2005
A friend of mine (Hi Dan! *wave*) wrote to me the other day trying to figure out why I called my husband, E7. The theory she came up with showed me that she had put a lot of thought into the puzzle, in fact, she came up with a concept that I had never thought of. So I decided to share it with all of you.

"I also had a little revelation this morning (AND I haven’t even had any caffeine yet!). I never gave much thought to why you called Eishichi E7. I just assumed that there was some Chrissy story behind it and accepted it. But today I actually processed his name and see that there are 7 letters following the E. Brilliant! Tell me that was your thought process............"

Unfortunately that is not the reason why I call him E7, but it was a damn good guess!

When I first met him and he told me his full name (because in Japan, people introduce themselves with their first and last names), I thought he was having a sneezing fit. There were so many "s" and "shi"s in his name, that I could hardly figure out what the hell he was saying.

As it turns out, his first name is VERY uncommon (his last name is kind of like "Smith" in the U.S. so I guess it balances out in the end). In order for me to remember how to pronounce his name, I had to rely on a mneumonic, so I shortened his name to E7.

The characters for his name in Japanese are "English" (means "wisdom") and "7".

Ergo...take the "e" from English, pair it with the number "7" and there you have it.

0 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review