Monday, October 31, 2005

Boil, boil, toil and trouble

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 10/31/2005
Is that how it goes?

This is my last post of the day (yeah! you're saying) but I needed to let you know that today in Kitakyushu is the PEREFCT Halloween day. It is 55 degrees, with low-hanging clouds, a small breeze, and falling leaves rustling on the ground. Absolutely perfect.

Too bad Japan doesn't celebrate Halloween.

When I was on the JET program, we used to have Halloween parties where we would get dressed up and then go terrorize the neighborhood, dressed to the nines. You can imagine the looks we got when we went out in a group (about 20 of us), in various states of dress (or undress) to make the rounds of the local bars.

In 1995, the first year I met E7, he came to his first Halloween party. We had been hanging out all day and at about 7PM, I asked him where his costume was (I was going as a Japanese first grader...it was a pretty pathetic costume). He patted his bag and said he had it with him. Because his bag was pretty small, I couldn't imagine what kind of costume he was going to wear for his first Halloween.

He was a traffic cop.

In his bag, he had a yellow poncho raincoat and that was it. That was his costume. I know what you're saying...truly the work of a genius, right?

After E7 and I had made the rounds of the different bars with our friends, it was about 4AM and we parted ways and went out for all-night ramen...The stares we got were unbelievable.

It probably didn't help that we were in a well-known "entertainment" quarter (fill in the euphamism for "entertainment") and the people staring at us probably thought that I was a prostitute and that E7 was my customer who had a penchant for older women with pigtails.

Lovely.

2 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Narelle said...

Halloween has just seemed to kick in over here. I had my first lot of trick or treaters tonight and it was an interesting experience. The kids were all very understanding when I said that I didnt have anything for them however they loved it when I commented on their costumes. Mental note to self - stock up for next year !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Nice to meet you.
I am Koji living in Kobe and a big fan of yours.I came across your Blog 7 month ago.
Reading your Blog everyday is one of my enjoyments.
I feel extremely envy E7.
Because white women look so cool for me.
I like to read English.
Though reading "Boil, boil, toil and trouble " took about 20 minutes due to my poor English.
Sorry for strange coment.
Regards;

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review