Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Are we alone?

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 10/12/2005
Fukuoka is host to this year's International Astronautical Congress; Kitakyushu is a sub-venue and is hosting the "12th Session of the Asia-Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum" as well as smaller events throughout the week.

Putting this together has been E7's job over the past year.

Now, I love space as much as the next person (are people interested in space anymore?). When I was little one of my dreams was to be an astronaut (that was number 2 or 3, after wanting to be a Broadway singer and an Olympic track star...nothing like dreaming big, right?). Unfortunately, my lack of aptitude in physics quickly knocked the wind out of that dream but I still enjoy reading articles that pop up on the Net sometimes.

When I was looking up information about this event, I found a site called the "UN Office for Outer Space Affairs". What they do is try to "promote international cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space", but when I first saw the title, I thought that this office--the UN, the "world body"--was an office set up to conduct "international" or "intergalactical" affairs!

1 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Narelle said...

Love everything about space - teach it for a theme every year and love doing it. However if space travel was like that in Star Trek I could handle it otherwise I think I would be very very sick :)

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review