Monday, September 12, 2005

Where were you?

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 9/12/2005

"In the moments after the collapse of the Twin Towers I was overcome by a deep impulse to help, to save, to soothe, but, being far away, there was nothing I could do..." - Joel Meyerowitz

This was written by a photographer who came back to NYC and took pictures of the everyday heros who put the city back together again.

Where were you? This is a familiar question for those of the babyboomer generation, about their recollections of the assassination of JFK. But it is now a question you see being asked of anyone who was old enough to remember what they were doing on September 11th.

Every year on this day, I am filled with sadness that so many lives could have been extinguished in a fraction of a moment. But I find that as the years go by, the anger I feel doesn't weaken...it has gained momentum and is aimed not only at the faceless people who did this, but also at my own government.

Where was I? Far away, in a country very much removed from what was happening on that day. That morning, I was able to get in touch with friends and family by phone--when the phone lines worked--and by internet--when people were able to get on their computers, dragging themselves away from the horror on television. But I wasn't able to be there to give them hugs and reassurance and to offer my help--ineffectual as it may have been--to strangers on the street.

Where were you? Where was I?

1 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Mom said...

I remember feeling how hard it must have been to not be here. I don't think any of us will ever forget how we felt that day.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review