Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Lazy, lazy afternoon

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 9/13/2005
I just looked at the clock and was shocked to see it was only 3PM. It feels like it should be about time to leave but, alas, that is not the case...another three hours. Ugh.

I just had a quick power surge thanks to Michelle. She had picked up some Halloween candy a few days ago and gave me a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup last night when we met up for dinner. I haven't had one of these in...wow...probably about 5 or 6 years. Hel~~lo tastebuds! It was like eating an entire cup of sugar...but good, of course. :)

I talked with my mom this morning while I was at work, with my father chiming in from the background. Here is our conversation below:

MOM: So, I sent in a volunteer form request to Habitat to Humanity. I signed it from your father because he is very marketable. (NB: He's a former NYC police officer and is now a carpenter). This is what I wrote: "I am a retired NYC police officer. I am also a carpenter with electrical & plumbing experience. My wife traveled to Haiti on a mission trip in situations with health risks..."

DAD (in the background): I'm going to work with Habitat!

MOM (talking over the piping voice in the background): A retired NYC cop who is now a carpenter? Who wouldn't want to accept him? Actually, accept us...the form asked if it was an individual application or a group application. I put us down as a group...of 2. We're a package. I just hope that I can eventually get to do these things. Oh, and they're also offering disaster training through the Red Cross! I'd like to get to do that some time too.

DAD (in the background): I'm going to work with Habitat!

ME: I can just see E7 and I trying to track you guys down when we come in at Christmas. "Oh, E7? We have to go to the South. My parents are building houses down there." I'm sure he would have his inscrutable face on, when really he's thinking, "They're building what?!?"

DAD (in the background): I'm going to work with Habitat!

It's great that they are looking to work with the reconstruction efforts for Louisana, Mississippi and other affected areas. Sometimes it's so easy to give money and time for a rescue mission but you can sometimes forget about how people have to rebuild their lives after a disaster like this. It's great to know organizations like Habitat for Humanity are looking forward to the reconstruction efforts and are calling for volunteers.

And, that there are people like my parents who are willing to volunteer their time and talents to help other people.

1 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Karen said...

I love it. Dad was totally baffled. Mom is too much.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review