Monday, September 12, 2005

Flying with Pikachu

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 9/12/2005
On my way to Tokyo last Friday for a meeting, I had to chuckle to myself as I made my way down the gangway towards the plane. I had to take the first flight out of Fukuoka, which is at 7:10, and was desperately trying to wipe the sleep from my eyes from waking up at 4:30, when I suddenly had to shield my eyes from the bright, glimmering plane.

And, why was it glimmering, you ask?

Well, ANA (All Nippon Airways) has a summer promotion going on which features Pikachu. And I do mean features. The entire plane was painted bright yellow, which was the reason why I lost most of my sight.

One of the reasons I laughed was because:

(1) It didn't really faze me that I was going to essentially be flying in a plane which could conceivably be piloted by the characters from Pikachu and

(2) I remembered a trip that my mother took to Japan in 1995.

After flying for 14 hours straight from New York to Tokyo, she was thrilled that the last part of her journey was coming up...a flight from Tokyo to Fukuoka. Her trip coincided with a promotion that Japan Airlines was doing with Disneyland. I am sure that you can picture the plane that she flew on...COVERED with Disney characters! She thought I had purchased her ticket from an economy airline.

So Mom, I had a fun time thinking of you when I boarded the flight to Tokyo last week!

1 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Mom said...

I thought I was on a toy plane!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review