Friday, August 19, 2005

Thoughts for today

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 8/19/2005
WORK RANDOMNESS & THOUGHTS ABOUT TOKYO
I spent Thursday in Tokyo for work which consisted of me traveling for 8 1/2 hours for a 2 hour meeting. It's time to move into the 21st century people...technology is supposed to make our lives easier. Why don't we do a few tele-conferences or video conferences??? (Or how about this? Why don't you let me just sit and relax on my southern island and not give me more work to do??? Hmm???)

Every time I go to Tokyo, I wonder how they can cram so many people into the city. There are about 10 million people in Tokyo (compared to 8 million in NYC) all stuffed together in an area smaller than NY. It just floors me that there can be so many people.

E7 at 80: TRAIN RANDOMNESS
Last night, when I was on the train on the way home from Tokyo, I saw an old man all stretched out and reading the newspaper. Looking at him, I saw E7 in about 40 years. He was "thinning on top", had his pants cuffed to about mid-calf, was wearing a shirt that was halfway opened to reveal a white undershirt and had, I assume for decoration purposes, a white towel wrapped around his neck. It was seriously like seeing a future version of E7. You might ask why, but there was a phase where he was going around the apartment wearing a towel around his neck right when he got out of the bath. For no reason.

"WE ARE NOT ALONE": SPACE RANDOMNESS
I love reading about all the new ventures NASA, ESA, and JAXA are doing in space. When there is a shuttle launch, a documentary about NASA's Mars exploration program, or NASA's Voyager program, you can find me glued to the television to cheer on our space explorers.

I found a blurb about how a well-known travel agency in Japan is offering space trips from 2008, in a tie-up with Space Adventures Ltd. A tour to the International Space Station for a 1 week stay will be priced at about 2 BILLION yen per person (20 MILLION dollars??? Is that right?). To go on the tour, every person has to receive preflight training for 6-8 months and some of the programs will include a trip around the moon (11 billion yen...110 million dollars?)...I thought the person who wrote the article had their math wrong (writing BILLION instead of MILLION), but I just checked out Space Adventures's site and, nope, looks like those prices are about right. *zoinks!* (I love that word. :) There is an inexpensive 11 million yen ($110,000) trip to an altitude of 100km (11 million yen = about

Well, unless I win the lottery, I guess I won't be going on a space odessy in my lifetime! E7 doesn't even want to take a boat to the Galapagos Islands...I doubt he would want to be seated next to me at G4 forces on our way to outer space! Poor guy...I don't think he knew what he was getting into when he married me. *grin*

POLITICS RANDOMNESS
I came across this opinion piece on the plane ride home from Tokyo yesterday that just resonated with me. Maureen Dowd says things much more eloquently than I ever could.

WEATHERPIXIE RANDOMNESS
I was getting tired of the annoying smile of my WeatherPixie geisha and have changed her to a WeatherPixie flapper. Check it out below! She is still smiling but I can't see her face too clearly.

0 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review