Tuesday, July 5, 2005

Sometimes I wonder what goes on in his head...

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 7/05/2005
E7 came to pick me up from work yesterday--what a wonderful guy!--and had me laughing so hard I almost peed in my pants in the car.

I was telling him about my 3-hour presentation earlier that day and how one of the participants told me that one thing I said really inspired him (OK, one thing over a period of 3 hours is not such a good track record, but still!). I thought it was nice of him to tell me that, especially since most people don't usually say things like that.

I told E7 that having to do a 3-hour presentation without interpretation means that I have to provide double or triple the amount of information because there is no need to translate for the attendees since they understand English. This was our conversation:

E7: So, how do you open the presentation usually?

Me: Well, I start by asking them to introduce themselves and why they are here so that it wakes them up a little.

E7: Do you say, "Hello, dorks!"

Me: Did you just ask if I say, "Hello, dorks?" Why would I say something like that???

This then got us on a discussion about the differences between: "nerd", "dork", and "weirdo". We came to the conclusion that there are no words for the word "nerd" or "dork" in Japanese. Possibly, because the description I came up with (eyeglasses, pocket protectors, etc.) was an apt description for a lot of people I've met here already. :)

How can living with E7 not be fun with these kinds of conversations??? But I do sometimes wonder what is lurking behind those beautiful eyes of his.

0 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review