Thursday, July 21, 2005

It's HOT and the noise does not STOP!

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 7/21/2005
Whatever my Weather Pixie says the temperature is here, be sure to add a little more than 5 degrees to the temperature and you'll have the real temperature. It's 92 degrees here right now (without the humidity, which would make it about 3,000 degrees F). It feels like I am swimming in a warm (or hot) bath. Nice if I can walk around naked (which, trust me, you DO NOT want to see!) but not so good if I am trying not to sweat in my work clothes.

If my little Weather Pixie (on the right hand side of the page) truly reflected the temperature, she would be lying in the middle of the road in a puddle of sweat and without that ridiculous smile on her face. Who smiles when it is this hot???

But this post is not a complaint about the weather, oh no! Today's complaint of the day is....

NOISE POLLUTION

Sometimes I get very sensitive to noise. And living in Japan, the noise pollution capital of the WORLD(!), gets to me every now and then. I would have to say that there is probably less than 5 minutes every day when it is quiet (and yes, I am also including the early hours of the morning). There is always something going on, including fre*aking construction on the monorail outside of my apartment between 2am and 5am. Hammering and some kind of chainsaw on metal. Can you imagine the noise???

(An aside: There is a chain here called "Yamada Denki" which is an electronics store. E7 always jokes about going there to buy things (lights, lightbulbs, whatever) because that store is my vision of hell. Loud noise, tape recordings of people trying to sell things in the loudest possible screeching voices, bright lights...I end up almost begging the people to let me buy something ("oh is that $40,000? OK, I'll take it.") just to get out of there.)

I embarassed E7 one time because I called up city hall to complain. I had some poor guy on the phone (who of course had nothing to do with anything) for about 1 hour complaining and making him be my go-between with the monorail company. Nothing came of it, but it certainly did make me feel better to have an outlet for complaining!

And E7 just sleeps through it...which pisses me off even more. If I have to be miserable, then he should be miserable with me. Isn't that what marriage is all about? For richer or poorer, in sickness and in health...through construction noise and quiet times? (I'm sure that is part of the vows too.)

BTW, the one quiet time in my day is when I am at the office. There are 3 people here (including myself) and no one talks to anyone else. We all sit right next to each other and if we have anything to say, we email it.

Can you say..."dysfunctional"?

Oh, and don't get me started on the dumpsite under the apartment building stairs.

See? This is what happens when you take a girl who would be quite happy to live in Antartica or the Arctic and put her in the rainforest, otherwise known as Kyushu. Happier postings will be back sometime after September...

1 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Ed said...

That was an excellent rant! I HATE noise also and feel for you! Try walking around with those Bose noise cancelling headphones. You will be in absolute silent bliss!

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review