Thursday, June 2, 2005

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 6/02/2005
OK, I'M GOING TO GO ALL POLITICAL NOW...CHANGE CHANNELS IF YOU WISH!

I've been following the the votes by the French and Dutch governments for the adoption of the EU constitution over the past couple of days. I find the entire idea of the "European Union" facinating, because I think that it is a wonderful social experiment that would work for the entire world (or how the UN should be working for the entire world), i.e. having different countries working and living together under one constitution. If this could be pulled off, the concept of "countries" or "nations" would be obsolete and everyone, everywhere would be able to travel and work freely anywhere in the world. Of course, that is a far way off, but what the EU is working towards is in that genre, I think.

I understand why people have voted "no" (or "non" as the newspapers have been shouting) to the EU constitution as it is. I think that it is premature to ask the people to vote on a concept that hasn't been thought completely through. For example, I understand why people are worried about rising unemployment, with businesses relocating to cheaper countries but having no penalties for this since they would in essence be "in the same country"--the EU--or carrying the weight of those countries whose economies are not as advanced as others. Also, there is the fear of losing national identities (even the use of the Euro as currency is seen as loss of identity) or loss of control to a vague concept of a central controling power (or a few powerful men--and I do mean "men"...there are very few women in power in the current EU central structure).

Right now, the constitution has been ratified by 9 of the 25 countries, but for it to go into effect, all 25 countries must ratify it. So now, with France and the Netherlands voting no (who are also 2 of the original architects for the EU), it is not looking like a very rosy future for the constitution...for now. Where they will go, however, will be interesting to see.

But, what a wonderful social experiment it would be if it actually worked...although they said that about communism too, right? :) As a member of the younger generation, I would have voted a resounding "oui" to the constitution.

Just my thoughts for the day!

(BTW, every time I write "EU", I end up writing "E7" LOL).

1 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

MOM said...

Hmmm... I am going to have to think about this. Not sure even if it could ever happen in the reality of the world today.

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review