Tuesday, December 7, 2004

Posted by kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping on 12/07/2004
When I came home from Bangkok last week, E7 says to me that he has "good news" for me. I thought that he was able to get business class tickets for free to New York this December but he actually applied for a position with the city in New York for 2 years!

The city has a liaison office in NYC and sends a city hall staff member there for a 2 year stint. The position is opening up this April (1 year in Tokyo; 2 years in NYC) and he applied for it! There is less than a 50% chance that he will be able to get the position (it usually goes to a more junior person) but with the "extenuating circumstances", i.e. ME!, there might be more of a chance.

A few years ago, he told me about this position and said that he didn't want to apply because he didn't want to live overseas. So I was a little surprised--shocked--when he told me this last week. I asked him why he decided to apply and he said that he did it for me. Isn't that sweet?

Anyway, we will find out if there is a possibility at the end of December and will find out definitely by February if he was accepted for the position. If so, I will be off to Tokyo in April! Even if he doesn't get the position (which is likely), I'm just happy that he did this for me. It was such a sweet gesture and made even better that I was TOTALLY not expecting it!

2 of you feeling verklempt. Tawlk amongst yourselves:

Anonymous said...

That is really sweet. Best of luck :)
winnie

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful time we'd have!! Love Mom

 

International Marriage?!? Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review